DBBackup to Dropbox¶
In order to backup to Dropbox, you'll first need to create a Dropbox Account and set it up to communicate with the Django-DBBackup application. Don't worry, all instructions are below.
Setup Your Dropbox Account¶
- Login to Dropbox and navigate to Developers » MyApps.
- Click the button to create a new app and name it whatever you like. For reference, I named mine 'Website Backups'.
- After your app is created, note the options button and more importantly the 'App Key' and 'App Secret' values inside. You'll need those later.
Setup Your Django Project¶
- Install django-dbbackup and the required Python
Dropbox Client API.
If using Pip, you can install this package using the following command:
>> cd django-dbbackup >> python setup.py install >> pip install hg+https://bitbucket.org/dropboxapi/dropbox-client-python
- Add 'dbbackup' to INSTALLED_APPS in your settings.py file.
- Include the required settings below.
DBBACKUP_STORAGE = 'dbbackup.storage.dropbox_storage' DBBACKUP_TOKENS_FILEPATH = '<local_tokens_filepath>' DBBACKUP_DROPBOX_APP_KEY = '<dropbox_app_key>' DBBACKUP_DROPBOX_APP_SECRET = '<dropbox_app_secret>'
- Now you're ready to use the backup management commands. The first time you run a command you'll be prompted to visit a Dropbox URL to allow DBBackup access to your Dropbox account.
The local filepath to store the Dropbox oAuth request and tokens. This file will be auto-created, but should be treated like any other password to access your website. NOTE: Do not share these keys with anyone you do not trust with access to your Dropbox files.
String containing your Dropbox App Key. NOTE: Do not share these keys with anyone you do not trust with access to your Dropbox files.
String containing your Dropbox App Secret. NOTE: Do not share these keys with anyone you do not trust with access to your Dropbox files.
String containing your Dropbox Access Type. This is either 'dropbox' or 'app_folder' depending on the access type specified when creating your application on the Dropbox website. This defaults to 'dropbox', assuming your application has full access to your Dropbox folder.
The directory in Dropbox you wish to save your backups. By default this is set to '/django-dbbackups/'.